Following is a somewhat finalized schedule. The party begins at 8, and the performance begins at 9; tickets will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Hope to see you there!
RESURRECTION! A Gala Benefit to Rebuild The Morbid Anatomy LibraryYou can find out more here. Hope very, very much to see you there!
Date: Saturday, June 30
Location: Observatory (543 Union Street at Nevins, Brooklyn; Enter via Proteus Gowanus) (DIRECTIONS)
8:00: Doors, drinks, and music
9:00: Introductory remarks by our MCs Evan Michelson of The Science Channel's "Oddities" and cult writer and luminary Mark Dery
9:10: World Premiere of Morbid Anatomy episode of The Midnight Archive, directed by Ronni Thomas
9:20: A Series of 5-minute "Odes to Material Culture:"
Following will be complimentary cocktails, music by Friese Undine, screenings of The Midnight Archive, performances by Jonny Clockworks, and droll giveaways from the design firm Kikkerland. Attendees are encouraged to dress "Obscurely."
- Ryan Mathews of "Oddities" on exploded, or "Beauchene" Skulls
- Melissa Milgrom, author of Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, on a Glass Udder
- Mark Jacobson of New York Magazine on a Human Skin Lampshade
- Carl Schoonover author of Portraits of the Mind, on Ramón y Cajal, Art and Science
- Lord Whimsy of The Affected Provincial's Almanac Volume 1, with "A Report from Carpet Island"
- Amy Herzog of Queens College, with "A Bunny Is Being Beaten: A Tale of Political Violence, Oedipal Angst, and a Lost Televisual Object (in which the author reveals far more about her psychosexual development than anyone ever wanted to know....)”
- Evan Michelson on a Whale Bulla, and How it is Possible to Love, Desire and Hate an Object at the Same Time
- Lisa O’Sullivan, director of the Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health at the New York Academy of Medicine on her Pocket Anatomy Figure
- Barbara Mathé of AMNH on an Archetypal Piece of Sliced Bread
- Daniel Margocsy of CUNY on A Tableau Made of Human Body Parts by Dutch Anatomist Frederik Ruysch
- Salvador Olguín of Borderline Projects on a Santa Muerta Figurine
Throughout the night, you will also be invited to bid on objects in our silent auction which included works by such amazing artists and makers as:
- Mark Dion and Dana Sherwood
- Rosamond Purcell
- Minnesota Rogue Taxidermist Robert Marbury
- MTA Artist-in-Residence Sophie Blackall
- Creative taxidermist Jessica Joslin
- Ryan Mathews of "Oddities"
- Empire of Death author/photographer Paul Koudounaris
- Anthropomorphic taxidermist Sue Jeiven
- Anthropomorphic insect shadowbox maker Daisy Tainton
- Waxworker Sigrid Sarda
- Museum-exhibit designer Christopher Muller
- Erika Larsen
- Shannon Taggart
- Julia Solis
- Justine Cooper
- Saul Chernick
- Nicholas Kahn
- Laura Splan
- Alex Kanevsky
- Suzanne Anker
- Friese Undine
- Demetrios Vital
- Cindy Stelmackowich
- GF Newland
- Andrea Meadows
- Eric Lindvelt
- And, as they say, much, much more.
And, if you can not join us at the benefit and are interested in aiding in rebuilding efforts, here are a few things you can do:
- Make a monetary donation; to do so, simply click on the black "Donate Here" button on the top right hand side of this blog
- Sponsor a book; Click here to see a list of damaged books; books purchased here will automatically ship directly to The Library and populate our sadly empty shelves.
- Help spread the word!
- Donate new books or artifacts for the collection: Mailing Address: Joanna Ebenstein, c/o The Morbid Anatomy Library, 543 Union Street #1E, Brooklyn, NY 1121