Full details follow; hope very much to raise a glass with you there!
Seize the Day
02 November 2012, 19.00 - 23.00
The Wellcome Collection
183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE
Experience a brush with death at our special Friday-night late, and explore what death has to tell us about life. If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you choose to do today? How would you like to be remembered after you die? And what would you like to achieve before you go? Ponder these questions while enjoying stimulating talks, enchanting stories from around the world and activities throughout the galleries. Enjoy a drink while listening to a Dixieland jazz band. Decorate a coffin, pick up some dance steps in our special ‘Last Dance’ class and design your ideal fantasy funeral. Join us to embrace the inevitability of death and celebrate while we still can!
• Joanna Ebenstein, founder of the Morbid Anatomy blog and library, on facing up to death through art
• David Spiegelhalter, Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk, University of Cambridge, on the statistics of death
• Frank Swain, author of ‘Zombology: The new science of zombies, reanimation and mind control’ on science’s investigations into the final frontier
• Activities in the galleries from The Natural Death Centre
• New Orleans jazz funeral tunes from the Silk Street Jazz band
• Stories of God, the Devil and Death from the Crick Crack Club
• Tea dance classes from former dancer and teacher Glen Snowden
• ‘Immortal Dream’ from Contemporary Vintage.You can find out more about this event here.
This event is free, so drop in any time. Talks are ticketed and tickets will be available on the night.
Image: Memento Mori, Andrea Previtali, 1502; Museo Poldi Pezzoli, Milan ; sourced here.