The full schedule of the evening's festivities follows, but here are a few highlights listed for your convenience:
- Mini lectures on Frederik Ruysch, "Beauchene" Skulls, a pocket anatomical figure, Santa Muerte, a Whale Bulla and more by personalities such as Evan Michelson and Ryan Mathews of TV's "Oddities" journalist Mark Jacobson, and Melissa Milgrom author of Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy
- Delicious complimentary (!!!) cocktails concocted by Ronni Thomas, director and creator of the critically acclaimed Web series The Midnight Archive
- World premiere episodes of The Midnight Archive, Morbid Anatomy and Evan Michelson episodes
- Charmingly delightful MCs Evan Michelson of The Science Channel's "Oddities" and cult writer and luminary Mark Dery
- A mini-exhibiton of silent auction items which includes the amazing works seen above, by (From top to bottom, after the installation view) Rosamond Purcell; Erika Larsen; Mark Dion and Dana Sherwood; Andrea Meadows; Sue Jeiven; Justine Cooper; Jessica McCarrel; Eric Lindvelt; Ryan Mathews and many, many more; You can see a more complete collection by clicking here.
RESURRECTION! A Gala Benefit to Rebuild The Morbid Anatomy Library
Date: Saturday, June 30
Location: Observatory (543 Union Street at Nevins, Brooklyn; Enter via Proteus Gowanus) (DIRECTIONS)
8:00: Doors, drinks, and music9:00: Introductory remarks by our MCs Evan Michelson of The Science Channel's "Oddities" and cult writer and luminary Mark Dery9:10: World Premiere of Morbid Anatomy and Evan Michelson episodes of The Midnight Archive, directed by Ronni Thomas9:20: A Series of 5-minute "Odes to Material Culture:"
Following will be complimentary cocktails, music by Friese Undine, performances by Jonny Clockworks, and droll giveaways from the design firm Kikkerland. Attendees are encouraged to dress "Obscurely."
- Ryan Mathews of "Oddities" on exploded, or "Beauchene" Skulls
- Melissa Milgrom, author of Still Life: Adventures in Taxidermy, on a Glass Udder
- Mark Jacobson of New York Magazine on a Human Skin Lampshade
- Lord Whimsy of The Affected Provincial's Almanac Volume 1, with "A Report from Carpet Island"
- Amy Herzog of Queens College, with "A Bunny Is Being Beaten: A Tale of Political Violence, Oedipal Angst, and a Lost Televisual Object (in which the author reveals far more about her psychosexual development than anyone ever wanted to know....)”
- Evan Michelson on a Whale Bulla, and How it is Possible to Love, Desire and Hate an Object at the Same Time
- Lisa O’Sullivan, director of the Center for the History of Medicine and Public Health at the New York Academy of Medicine on her Pocket Anatomy Figure
- Barbara Mathé of AMNH on an Archetypal Piece of Sliced Bread
- Daniel Margocsy of CUNY on A Tableau Made of Human Body Parts by Dutch Anatomist Frederik Ruysch
- Salvador Olguín of Borderline Projects on a Santa Muerta Figurine
Throughout the night, you will also be invited to bid on objects in our silent auction which included works by such amazing artists and makers as:
- Mark Dion and Dana Sherwood
- Rosamond Purcell
- Minnesota Rogue Taxidermist Robert Marbury
- MTA Artist-in-Residence Sophie Blackall
- Creative taxidermist Jessica Joslin
- Ryan Mathews of "Oddities"
- Empire of Death author/photographer Paul Koudounaris
- Anthropomorphic taxidermist Sue Jeiven
- Anthropomorphic insect shadowbox maker Daisy Tainton
- Waxworker Sigrid Sarda
- Museum-exhibit designer Christopher Muller
- Erika Larsen
- Shannon Taggart
- Julia Solis
- Justine Cooper
- Saul Chernick
- Nicholas Kahn
- Laura Splan
- Alex Kanevsky
- Suzanne Anker
- Friese Undine
- Demetrios Vital
- Cindy Stelmackowich
- GF Newland
- Andrea Meadows
- Eric Lindvelt
- And, as they say, much, much more.
And, if you can not join us at the benefit and are interested in aiding in rebuilding efforts, here are a few things you can do:
Make a monetary donation; to do so, simply click on the black "Donate Here" button on the top right hand side of this blog
Sponsor a book; Click here to see a list of damaged books; books purchased here will automatically ship directly to The Library and populate our sadly empty shelves.
Help spread the word!
Donate new books or artifacts for the collection: Mailing Address: Joanna Ebenstein, c/o The Morbid Anatomy Library, 543 Union Street #1E, Brooklyn, NY 1121 To see more artworks available in the silent auction, click here.