Hope to see you there!And I highly recommend clicking on the above image; it gets a lot more interesting at a larger size!
Case Studies of Medical Portraiture concluding workshopImage: Barclay Bros., A composite group portrait of the Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, 1902, photogravure, 55.5 x 80.9cm (Wellcome Images).
July 12th 2013
King’s College London
Strand Building, room S8.08
9:00 – Registration
9:30 – Panel 1
11:00 – Coffee
- Keynote Address: Lucia Dacome (University of Toronto) – ‘The anatomy of the embroiderer: celebrity, domesticity and self-portraiture in eighteenth-century Italy’
- Julia Rüdiger (University of Vienna) – ‘Surgeons’ Portraiture in historical context: monuments to Theodor Billroth
11:30 – Panel 2
13:00 – Lunch
- John Harley Warner (Yale University) – ‘Posing with the Cadaver: Violence, Identity and Photographic Group Portraiture in American Medicine, 1880-1930’
- Mary Hunter (McGill University) – ‘Hysterical Reality: Portraits, Performance and Procedures at the Salpêtrière Hospital’
13:45 – Panel 3
15:45 – Tea
- Michael Flexer (University of Leeds) – ‘Portraiture, Paralysis and Parallaxes in Charcot's nosological mission’
- Harriet Palfreyman (University of Warwick) – ‘Patient Portraits at the London Lock Hospital, 1849-1851’
- Mienke te Hennepe (Boerhaave Museum) – ‘Medical Photography on Display: Patients, portraits and the dilemma of privacy - a curator's perspective’
16:15 – Round Table, Summing Up and Discussion
To be followed by a drinks reception. Since places are limited, please contact douglas.james [at] kcl.ac.uk to register. We are grateful to the Wellcome Trust for its generous support. Organisers: Keren Hammerschlag, Ludmilla Jordanova, Douglas James and Anna Maerker.
- Keren Hammerschlag (KCL), Ludmilla Jordanova (KCL), Douglas James (KCL) and Anna Maerker (KCL)