Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"Music From the Body," Roger Waters and Ron Geesin, 1970


The album "Music from the Body" is the soundtrack to a 1970s documentary called "The Body" which is described on Internet Movie Database thusly: The body is birth and love. The body is life and sex. The body is dreams and beauty. The body is joy and fear. The body is you and everybody you know." The soundtrack is the product of a collaboration between Pink Floyd's Roger Waters and British composer and musician Ron Geesin; here are just a few of the songs you will find there: "Red Stuff Writhe," "Dance of The Red Corpuscles," "Embryonic Womb-Walk," and "March Past Of the Embryos."

Despite the general un-listenability of the record (well, there are a few decent songs, but most are a bit high-concept for my taste) I am still quite curious to see the film itself. Sadly, I have been unable to locate any rentable or purchasable copy of it. Might anyone out there know of a way to acquire or access a copy? To get a taste of it, you can check out the film's opening sequence here.

Thanks, by the way, to my good friend Amy Slonaker for sending the LP my way.

1 comment:

Mojo said...

I actually remember seeing this on television...I must have been 5 or 6 (in the mid 80's). It was so morbid and odd that it made a strong impression on me. I didn't know the music featured Waters' at the time, but I also happened to be a Dark Side of The Moon fan at that time. Go figure!